Halloween and Thanksgiving aren’t the only things you should be looking forward to in October and November! I like to help spread the word about all the awesome events, awards, and grants available in Iowa. There are so many great opportunities for nonprofit pros, board members, volunteers, and donors, that range from webinars to workshops. But, life is busy, and it can be hard to keep track of what you should register for or put on your calendar. That’s why I compiled a list for your convenience!
Learning Events & Trainings
- 10/11- Nonprofit Learning Lab is hosting a Nonprofit Institute in Des Moines.
- 10/15- Drake University Center for Professional Studies is offering a grant writing workshop that offers a wide array of competencies in the art of grant writing.
- 10/17- Nonprofit Forum presented by Central Iowa Center for Independent Living in Des Moines.
- 10/19- At the New Iowans Summit attendees will learn more about immigrants and refugees, their contributions to central Iowa, and their ongoing needs in our community.
- 10/22- Nonprofit Organizations Conference in West Des Moines, designed for CPAs who have nonprofit organizations as clients, financial officers or board members of nonprofits, and staff accountants involved with tax and accounting issues of nonprofits.
- 10/23- October Nonprofit Meetup, hosted by Iowa Startup Accelerator. Anyone from the community that is interested in learning about area nonprofits and how they can get engaged to help them thrive here in Iowa in encouraged to attend.
- 10/24- GuideStar webinar “What You Need to Know About Nonprofit Executive Compensation in 2018”
- 11/2- Central Iowa Chapter Association for Talent Development is hosting a free session, “How to Involve Your Team in Creating Rules of Engagement.”
- 11/7- “Are You Truly Being an Effective Board Member?” West Des Moines Chamber Accelerate session will be presented by Anna Nalean, Director of Nonprofit Relations at the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines.
- 11/9-11/10- Civic Action Academy presented by Campus Connect. This is a unique professional development opportunity for students interested in learning new ways of making a difference and building skills through civic and community engagement.
- 11/16- 6th Annual Inclusion Forum on Diversity and Inclusion, hosted by the Greater Des Moines Partnership, is free and includes a keynote entitled “Building Alliances Across Identity So We Can Celebrate Success!”
- 11/19- Des Moines Fundraising Institute will offer the first of two sessions designed to equip you with all the fundraising basics! Participants will obtain a core understanding of key concepts, terms, historical approaches, and industry structures in fundraising.
- Volunteer Iowa is offering federal funding in the form of AmeriCorps State program grants. New applicants have an option of rolling due dates starting on October 25.
- Americorps NCCC North Central Region is accepting applications for 2019 projects beginning November 5. Learn more.
There are so many great events and opportunities for nonprofits and the people that advance them that there is no doubt I missed some in the list above. Please feel free to add applicable events for October and November in the comments below! If you would like to notify GFLF of any upcoming nonprofit-focused events and opportunities in the coming months, don’t hesitate to email GFLF’s Chief Content Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.