#GivingTuesday: Facts & Figures
The mission of Gordon Fischer Law Firm is to maximize charitable giving in Iowa. To that end we work with nonprofits on legal compliance and training for accepting gifts (especially complex ones) as well was the donors who want to give to their favorite organizations and causes. Small Business Saturday is great for the community and Cyber Monday is fun, but the post-Thanksgiving “day” we look forward to the most is #GivingTuesday.
Created by the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at the 92nd Street Y in New York, along with the United Nations Foundation, in 2012, #GivingTuesday is a celebration for support of philanthropy and giving. Social media has helped grow the event into a global occasion, connecting countries, organizations, and donors around the world.
#GivingTuesday marks the middle of the seasonal giving system—33% of charitable donations consumers occurs year-round. Whether you’re prepping your nonprofit’s activities, messaging, and events for #GivingTuesday or are a donor preparing to give (and encourage others to do the same) let’s take a look at some stats that show the enormous impact #GivingTuesday has.
- In 2016, on just #GivingTuesday, $168,000,000 million was raised! This year it’s been predicted that $201,000,000 will be raised, for a 20% increase over 2016’s totals. These figures also don’t include the thousands of volunteer hours that donors gave, working to better their communities. The average gift amount donated online on #GivingTuesday last year was an impressive $126 per person.
- Predictions follow the continuous growth trends the day has seen; #GivingTuesday giving online has grown by 317% since 2012. 2016, alone, saw a 44 percent increase over 2015’s total of $116,700,000.
- More nonprofits are getting in on the action. 33% more charities received an online donation on #GivingTuesday 2016 compared to 2015.
- If you’re a nonprofit leader or marketer it’s important to know where your donations are coming from, and how your donors are reaching you. Mobile is taking a significant share of the donation platform pie—22% of online donations were made on a mobile device.
All year, not just on #GivingTuesday, GFLF is thrilled to work with nonprofit organizations on elements of operations including, but certainly not limited to;
- Training of nonprofit boards and staff and educating on charitable giving tools and techniques;
- Employment law guidance for nonprofits including advice about hiring and firing, and drafting of policies and procedures;
- Handling compliance issues, like starting a nonprofit and Form 990 reporting; and
- Working with nonprofit and donors on complex gifts.
(If your nonprofit is interested in any such services, I offer a free consultation.)
#GivingTuesday is a reminder that, against the backdrop of the “busy” of the holiday season, the spirit of giving is thriving. Want to talk charitable giving? Reach out anytime by email or phone (515-371-6077)